Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Of hats and bunny ears...

I had the best day off - Thanks for all the well wishes!! It was a gorgeous day, and I got to knit outside - I re-injured my "knitting injury" and got to wear a cool bandaid and then spent some time in the kitchen making Steak au Poivre, with frites in a champagne reduction with herbs de provence and warm chevre surrounded by greens - a good bottle of K just rounded off the nice day. It has taken me so long to post, because now I am feeling really behind for taking the day off, but it will all get done eventually...

So I was way too tired to actually strain my brain on knitting branching out, so I decided that I would do the bunny hat that O'Kitten posted on her blog. I let mr.sunneshine pick the color since it is for the grandbaby. He chose light blue - great - about 1/3 of the way through the hat, it became painfully clear that there was not enough yarn to finish the hat, much less the ears. So I added the purple that i was going to do the insides of the ears with
made some small child a really cute stripe hat.
So then, pulling through the stash there were 6 large balls of Blue Sky Organic Cotton in wheat. This was an impulse sale purchase, that I got home and couldn't figure out what to do with... So I cast on the hat, same needles same number of stitches and as I am knitting the hat, it is becoming apparent that the hat will fit me, not the 18 month old that it is intended for... Since I secretly wanted one of these hats, I finish the hat and start again with 10 less stitches. Thankfully, Its a stockingette hat - it zips along - the third one, turns out fine. It took a little bit to get my head around the ears, but I followed the pattern

and it eventually made sense. And I got rid of some crappy fuzzy yarn from my stash that I bought at Michaels for $0.50 but can't quite seem to give away - don't know why... Maybe because it is so perfect for applications like this! The hats look so cute, I did put a stitch around the ears to help them not be so floppy, which worked pretty well with the little hat, but the big hat really needs wire to keep them up... Tonight I will wire the ears, so when wearing the hat over the weekend, I can get a picture... That cotton is really soft and honestly, you forget the ears are up there... Soon, I will post pictures with people (being bunnies) in the hats...

Happy Knitting!!

6 comments:

BEESTLYproducts said...

lolz!!1 look @ all those hats :-)

Shadkitty said...

Sounds like a good day. The hats are adorable, I wonder why the first one turned out so large? Different gauge??

DAWN said...

Where did you find those band aids? Hmm? my son would have the whole box used up in a week. And why didn't you tell us when dinner was? I would have provided the wine. It sounded too perfect, yum.

Barb said...

the hats are so cute :)

Dipsy Doodle said...

Your hats are so absolutely cute! Yep, this sounds like a good day indeed - and I'm stunned by that supercool band aid!

Obsidian Kitten said...

i want people being bunnies! lol
they came out so great...

the first hat i knit for my niece fit the mom-to-be instead. oh well...

and i want skully band-aids too. i'd be covered in them.